Friday, February 26, 2016

Leather Necessary Clutch Wallet


You know when you have all the tools out, you might as well make the most of it before you start cleaning up and put them back in their proper storage. After Danial’s back quiver, and my mystery braid key fobs, I decided to dive into making my leather version of NCW to replace my old fabric NCW. I had to make a new one because I broke the turnlock of my old purse. 


Since I have the pattern, I printed a new set of pattern and adjusted them to take away the seam allowance. Working with leather, I don’t need the seam allowance. In the original pattern, the flap was done separately. For my leather version, I glued the flap to the body pattern and use it as a template to cut out the whole external piece of the NCW.


I used a 2mm vegetan leather and stained it light brown. My wool douber has felted after only a few uses and it gave the streaking effect on the leather. I like it. It looks like wood grain. Before anything else, I have to fix the turn lock.


I used a mix of leather for the interior of the purse. A nice soft lamb skin for the side gusset and card pockets (I didn’t trim it to reduce bulk, I should have). The other pockets were from scrap leather that I bought from Yee Button. All the pieces were painstakingly hand-stitched. The most difficult part was to stitch the sides for the divider and zipper pocket. After I stitched one side, I realised I could have just used rivets instead. Duh!

I love the look of my new leather NCW and have changed my purse. I wanted to attached some D rings so I can hook my strap and wear the purse as a cross body. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang